Tuesday, January 18, 2011

C25K-Week 1 Day 1

As you all know, I ran my first day of C25K last night. It was 40 something degrees and very slushy. We had had a big snowfall last week and the streets were very slushy and icy in patches, the sidewalks were clear, though so I preferred to run there. I ran with a friend (and her dog) and, I have to say, I don't think I would've pushed as hard without her there. I really needed the accountability last night. The first day's program calls for 60 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking, and so on, for a total of 2o minutes (30 minutes if you include the warm up and cool down 5 minute walks which bookend the interval training). By the 4th jogging interval I was really pushing myself. My lungs were burning from the cold air, my legs were heavy and prickly, and I felt I was moving slower than a walk. Of course, a little over half way through, self doubt kicks in. I was really wondering if I was going to be able to complete this program. "What if Friday comes and I'm not ready to move to the next interval program?" "What if my legs quit and I completely eat sidewalk?" "What if I barf?"
As I turned the corner and I saw my house, and the C25K app in my ear gave me the go-ahead to begin my cool-down walk, I immediately thought to myself, "Well, that wasn't so bad!"
It is because of the feeling I had at the very end of the run, because of how proud my husband looked when I came through the door and practically collapsed on the floor, because my daughter keeps calling me a "running guy", that I will go back out on Wednesday and leave all my self-doubt at home.
A few hours after my run last night I was feeling very sore and shake-y. But, this morning when I stepped out of bed, I was surprisingly not as sore as I thought I would be. I can tell my muscles are a bit tight, so I need to stretch, but overall I feel great!
I'm really looking forward to seeing progress as I continue this training :)
I'm feeling lovely today, are you?

2 comments: